Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Q&A with Dick Sheridan

Former N.C. State coach Dick Sheridan attended the Wolfpack's scrimmage Tuesday night after visiting with senior associate athletics director David Horning, who is recovering from a brain aneurysm.

Here are excerpts from a Q&A Sheridan did with reporters after the scrimmage, including a revelation about what he's been asked to do before the Wolfpack's regular season finale against North Carolina:

Q: You came out to see David. Can you talk about what he means to you?

A: David Horning was a member of our staff the entire time I was at N.C. State. He's just a first-class individual and we'd been really alarmed and worried about him as he's been through this ordeal, but this is the first chance I've had to see him. . . .David is a special person to me, and I think he's done as well as he has because of how tough and strong he is.

Q: Coach, how much fun is it for you and how much pride do you have being around the red and white and on the sidelines?

A: It's very enjoyable to me. I have a lot of respect for Coach (Tom) O'Brien and his staff. I like watching them work and the pace and tempo of practice and the teaching that's going on. They're doing a fantastic job in my opinion and I have a lot of respect for them.

Q: Obviously you have some special pride, though, being back around the program a little bit?

A: Oh yeah. Hopefully I'll always feel a part of it. I feel like I'm in another place with these facilities. It's beautiful what they've done with these facilities, and I just think there's a lot of good things ahead for N.C. State.

Q: Do you think the ACC as a conference gets a bad rap? From a national perspective it's kind of a down conference. From your perspective what do you see?

A: I don't think it does any good to complain. It is what it is, and I think you get what you earn and what you deserve. The conference is stronger than most observers think, and I think the only way to change that is when you have interleague play between the conferences. The ACC has a great chance to go out and beat some of the people on the schedules that are in the SEC, for example. And I think they'll do it.

Q: Do you plan to come back and speak to the team at some point?

A: Well, they don't know who I am and they don't care (laughing). It would be an honor to come back and do that. . . .I've been invited to toss the coin before the North Carolina game. I guess they felt like we had some good luck against the Tar Heels. Maybe I can bring a little luck.

Q: What do you think of that game as the last game (on the schedule)?

A: I think it's great. I think it's something fans look forward to no matter what's happened prior to that. There's going to be a big turnout, a lot of interest and great competition between two great schools and programs.

Ken Tysiac

0 comments: