Thursday, October 14, 2010

Quinn apologizes in statement released by UNC



Robert Quinn, UNC's All-ACC defensive end in 2009 and one of the top prospects in the NFL draft, released a statement for the first time since being ruled ineligible by the NCAA and dismissed from the football team.


Quinn said:


"I first would like to say how thankful I am to God for being able to attend the University of North Carolina. I want to thank the coaching staff for recruiting me and giving me the opportunity to come to such a prestigious university despite the fact that I was suffering from a brain tumor. I want to thank my teammates for making the time I had on the football field some of the best times in my life. I also want to thank them for their friendship and willingness to stand by me through my growth as a person. It is with that in mind that I want to convey my sincere apologies to both my teammates and my coaches for bringing this burden upon them.


"Even though this unfortunate situation is a tough time in my life, it is something I will be able to overcome. Having a brain tumor has truly been the most difficult thing I have had to deal with in my life. I was told at one point that I would be brain dead and unable to play sports ever again. Having to deal with something of that magnitude has allowed me to put this situation in its proper perspective, accept it and learn from it.


"I’m very thankful to all my supporters who have encouraged and prayed for me throughout this entire process. I appreciate the University of North Carolina for keeping the door open for me to receive a college education. It has made dealing with these circumstances easier knowing that there are people who can see past my mistakes and still view me as a good person. While I have this time away from football I will do my best to continue to give back to the community in a positive manner.


I wish my team good luck for the rest of this season and I want them to know that I am and always will be a Tar Heel at heart."


--- J.P. Giglio

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice letter by his lawyer.