A North Carolina football recruit said a Tar Heels assistant coach told him that the NCAA investigation would not affect UNC's future bowl status or have an impact on future recruits.
Tim Scott, a cornerback from Stafford, Va., said he was told by assistant coach Charlie Williams that UNC's bowl status would not be affected by the NCAA investigation.
Scott, reached by phone on Sunday afternoon, said Williams also talked to him about the punishment for the players involved in the NCAA investigation. He clarified a Virginia newspaper report from Saturday that attributed the quotes to head coach Butch Davis.
"Coach Williams said the players involved would have to pay back what they received and it wouldn't be an issue for future recruits," Scott said. "I didn't talk to coach Davis about the NCAA investigation."
Williams is UNC's receivers coach in his fourth season. He previously coached with Davis at Miami and also in the NFL.
Scott, rated a three-star cornerback by Scout.com, committed to the Heels on Saturday.
Davis acknowledged the UNC football program was being investigated on Thursday but declined to provide details about the number of players involved or the potential severity of the probe.
The NCAA interviewed Tar Heels receiver Greg Little in Chapel Hill, the player's father said last week, as well as defensive tackle Marvin Austin, The News & Observer has confirmed.
The NCAA conducted the interviews on July 12 and July 13, according public documents acquired by the N&O.
UNC has insisted from the public announcement of the investigation on July 15 that NCAA will not allow them to comment.
At least two players, quarterback T.J. Yates and cornerback Kendric Burney, have addressed the subject on Twitter.-- J.P. Giglio