Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pack's Baker entering NFL draft

RALEIGH — N.C. State tailback Toney Baker has decided not to take advantage of the sixth-year eligibility granted by the NCAA and will not return for next season.

N.C. State released a statement this morning from Baker, who intends to enter this spring's NFL draft.

"After talking to my family, my coaches and doing a lot of praying, I’ve decided that it’s time for me to pursue playing football at the next level," Baker said. "It was a tough decision because I have loved my time at NC State and have really enjoyed playing for Coach O'Brien. But after weighing all my options, I think this is the right move for me at this time in my life."

Baker missed almost two full seasons with a knee injury before returning to action this season. He led the team in rushing, finishing the regular season ranked sixth in the ACC with 64.4 yards per game and ninth in all-purpose yards (94 ypg). He finished his college career ranked 11th in school history with 17 career rushing touchdowns and 11th in rushing yards with 2,045.

Baker graduated in December after receiving the ACC's 2009 Brian Piccolo Award as the league's "most courageous" player.

"We support Toney in this decision and wish him great success," State coach Tom O'Brien, said in a statement released by the university's sports information office. "He has been and will continue to be a great representative of NC State University and our football program."

Lorenzo Perez

4 comments:

704Champ said...

Good luck Toney!

Alex said...

good move, already has the degree to fall back on. it is unlikely that another year would improve his draft position enough to warrent the risk of injury in a college game.

Anonymous said...

hold on to the ball and he should do just fine

Anonymous said...

Maybe the tarholes will finally beat state next year!!!!