Thursday, April 22, 2010

UNC QB Renner dropping baseball

CHAPEL HILL - North Carolina freshman quarterback Bryn Renner spent the early spring shuttling between football and baseball practices.

The West Springfield, Va. native has decided to stop playing baseball, though, to concentrate solely on football, according to a statement released today by UNC.

"I would like to thank the baseball staff for the opportunity, but I have to chosen to focus on football and my academics," said Renner, who redshirted last football season. "I wish my teammates the best for the remainder of the season."

Renner played in 15 games as a first baseman and designated hitter for the Tar Heels.

-- Lorenzo Perez

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like someone told him he had a shot at starting if he'd concentrate on football.

Anonymous said...

Which UNC school does this kid play for? UNCC? UNC-A? UNC -CH? UNC-W? I wish these writers would clarify

Anonymous said...

Anon 8:40

The state of North Carolina "borrowed" UNC from the University of North Carolina in 1931 to represent the entire school system. Prior to that, 'UNC' referred exclusively to UNC-CH. Therefore, UNC is synonymous with UNC-CH.
I use UNC to refer to UNC-CH, even as a UNCW graduate. The fact you are not aware of the history is alarming. You must have gone to NCS or ECU with your ignorance or lack of education.

Anonymous said...

Wow Carolina cockiness right there for ya...now they'll just have another sucky quarterback

Anonymous said...

Interesting - I went to UNC-W too. I have always thought there should be clarification. If we are UNC-W and UNC-P is in Pembroke and so on, I have always called the tarheels UNC-CH so everyone knew who I was talking about.
I do find it hard to believe that someone from UNC-W would say that NCSU or ECU educated people were uneducated. Sounds like you have some UNC-CH envy . I am proud to be a Seahawk - you should be too

Anonymous said...

http://www.ncsu.edu/about-nc-state/rankings/index.php

I guess it's difficult to swallow the truth that you didn't get into UNC-CH. But, clear your eyes from the anger and diappointment enough to recognize the tradition and academic reputation of NCSU.