Thursday, June 4, 2009

Lineman Stahl leaves Tar Heel football team

Offensive lineman Aaron Stahl has decided to forgo his final year of eligibility and will not return to North Carolina's football team, the school announced Thursday.

Stahl graduated in May with a bachelor's degree in exercise and sports science and would have been one of the more experienced players on the Tar Heels' offensive line.

"I appreciate everything Coach (Butch) Davis and his staff have done for me over the last two and a half years," Stahl said in a statement released by the school. "I earned my degree from a great University, enjoyed living in Chapel Hill, and now it’s time for me to move forward with the next phase of my life."

Stahl played in all 13 games last season and made six starts. He began the season as a center, but broke his thumb against Miami and switched to guard for the rest of the season.

He missed spring practice after having shoulder surgery in January.

"I understand Aaron’s decision and appreciate all of his hard work and effort to make us a better football program," Davis said in a statement. "He was a versatile player, and when he was injured last year, he helped the team by moving to another position. I will support him in the future and wish him nothing but success."

- Ken Tysiac


Anonymous said...

Another way for Chief Davis to get closer to roster limits before the waiver wire...

Anonymous said...

Broken record. Get something original or get back to flipping burgers, Wuffie.

Anonymous said...

41-10....that original enough for you???

MichaelProcton said...

He probably got a job offer he liked and jumped at the chance in this economy. Plus, what's the sense in sticking around to disappoint the TarBaby fans in the Banana Republic sweater vests once again?